Friday, June 27, 2008

1.3 My Chaotic Week

As crazy as it might sound, I have called the police, went to court, had a huge argument and a life threatening experience this week. This week is definitely far more dramatic than any television series I have ever watched in my entire life. How interesting, how dramatic? Well, let me rewind my memory to last Tuesday, and let you be the judge.

I am living with a girl who was my neighbor last year. Since she was the first person I met when I was a freshmen, she and I had a close bond between each other. And because of this bond, she and I had decided to leave together when the annual housing question arose last year. In the recent months, her boyfriend and her have been harassing me because of a couple of misconceptions. I ignored them because I didn't want to start arguments. However, about ten days ago, she suggested to me that she would be moving in with her boyfriend in the coming academic year. Moreover, she commanded me to look for someone to replace her in the lease because she believes that it is my responsibility to find someone to take her place. Out of anguish, she and I had a little confrontation on Tuesday night. That confrontation got out of hand and her boyfriend came into the apartment and harassed me verbally and physically. Fearing about his next move, I called the police. The police told me to file a restraining order against my roommate's boyfriend and tell the apartment manager. So there I was, on Wednesday afternoon, at the apartment manager's office the next day telling her my situation. The manager, probably fearing a possible lawsuit against the owner of the apartments, called my roommate and threatened her with a possible joint lawsuit (the owner of my apartment and me) against her. And then on Thursday, I went to the Woodland Court House to file a restraining order against my roommate's boyfriend. I waited for the entire day for my restraining order but the judge could not make a decision on the same day. So here I am, complaining about my chaotic week and waiting for a restraining order.

Although this week seems more dramatic than a Spanish soap opera, I have learned a couple valuable lessons. First, never confront to a roommate who has a uncontrollable boyfriend. Second, always call the police when a confrontation goes out of control. Third, never spend the entire day waiting for a restraining order because it takes two days. And lastly, always wipe out all misconceptions because they turn into hatred. For me, it was a valuable lesson learned and I hope you will learn a lesson or two from my chaotic week.

1 comment:

Christopher Schaberg said...

You have done nicely with this narrative: your post draws your reader into the drama while also maintaining a zoomed out perspective on the situation. How about including some links or embedded images to help your reader visualize aspects of your story? (And make sure to proofread. Second paragraph, second sentence: do mean *live* instead of "leave"?)